Grindale, East Riding of Yorkshire
Grindale, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles SW by S of Speeton railway station, and 4 NW of Bridlington. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bridlington. Acreage, 2431; population, 157. The manor belongs to the Lloyd family. Fragments of Roman tessellated pavement were found in 1839, and since then other Roman remains. The living is a joint vicarage with Sewerby and Marton, in the diocese of York. The church was a very old one, but was rebuilt in 1875. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Grindale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grindale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Grindall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Grindale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: