Dutton, a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Little Leigh and the civil parish of Great Budworth, in Cheshire, on the river Weaver, and the Trent and Mersey Canal, 1½ mile SE of Preston Brook station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 miles E of Frodsham. Acreage, 2090; population, 416. It was known at Domesday as Duntune, and it belonged to the ancient family of Dutton, who had jurisdiction over the minstrels and pipers of the county. Dutton Hall was built in 1513 by the Duttons, and remains of it exhibit fine features of the architecture of its period. There is an iron church under the Vicar of Little Leigh. A viaduct of 20 arches, each 63 feet in span and 60 feet high, takes the L. & N.W.R. over Dutton Bottom, across the valley of the Weaver. The workhouse for Runcorn "Union is in this township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dutton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.