Great Langton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Langton, Great, or Langton-upon-Swale, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 3 miles NW of Ainderby railway station, and 5½ NW by W of Northallerton, and has a post office under Northallerton; money order office, Scorton; telegraph office, Kirby Fleetham. Acreage, 854 of land and 18 of water; population, 99. The parish contains also the township of Little Langton, and comprises 1878 acres, of which 35 are water; population, 168. The living is a rectory in the dio-eese of Ripon; gross value, £285 with residence. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church is a plain but good edifice, without a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Great Langton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Langton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: