Dunham on the Hill, Cheshire
Dunham-on-the-Hill or Dunham Hill, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Thornton-le-Moors parish, Cheshire, 5¼ miles NE of Chester, with a station on the Birkenhead and L. & N.W. railway, and a post office under Warrington; money order and telegraph office, Helsby. Acreage, 1404; population, 287. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1888. Population, 373. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, £132 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Thornton-in-the-Moor. The church was erected in 1861.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunham on the Hill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.