Gillamoor, North Riding of Yorkshire
Gillamoor, a village and a township in Kirby Moorside parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles NE of Helmsley, and 2½ NNW from Kirby Moorside railway station. Post town, Kirby Moorside, under York. Acreage, 1624; population of the civil parish, 191; of the ecclesiastical, with Kirby Moorside, 2005. The surface is diversified, and both includes and commands fine views. The Earl of Feversham is lord of the manor. The chapel of ease is served by the Vicar of Kirby Moor&ide, in the diocese of York; joint net yearly value, £326 with residence. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Moorside|
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gillamoor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gillimoor)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gillamoor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: