Garton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Garton, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The township includes the hamlet of Grimston Garth, and bears the name of Garton-with-Grimston. It lies on the coast, 8 miles NNE of Rye Hill station on the-N.E.R., and 12 ENE of Hull. Post town, Hull; money order and telegraph office, Aldborough. Acreage, 1800; population of the civil parish, 130; of the ecclesiastical, 181. Grimston Hall, the seat of the lineal descendants of Sylvester de Grimston, standard-bearer to William the Conqueror, is a large castellated mansion occupying an elevated site near the shore, and commanding extensive and magnificent views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net yearly value, £85 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good; it was repaired in 1877, and the interior was restored in 18 87— There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Garton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Garton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Garton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Garton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: