Fylingdales, North Riding of Yorkshire
Fylingdales, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, near the coast, 4¼ miles SSE of Whitby town, and half a mile from Robin Hood's Bay station on the Whitby and Scarborough branch of the N. E. R. The township contains the village of Robin Hood's Bay, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitby; also the hamlets of Fylingthorpe, Normanby, Bamsdale, Raw, Parkgate, and Stoupe Brow. Acreage, 6325; population, 1482. Alum works were here, but were stopped prior to 1851. Much fishing is carried on. Hubba the Dane in 867 planted his standard, bearing the raven, on a hill in this parish; hence called to this day Raven Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross yearly value, £285 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, built by subscription and consecrated in 1870, is very good, and thei'fr are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fylingdales St. Stephen|
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Fylingdales:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fylingdales from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fylingdales (St. Stephen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: