Doddington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire. The township lies adjacent to Salop and Staffordshire, 3 miles S of Betley Road station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 SE by S of Nantwich. Post town, Nantwich; money order and telegraph office, Wybunbury. Acreage, 597; population, 60. The parish was constituted in 1840, and includes the townships of Bridgemere, Checkley-cum-Wrine-hill, and Hunsterson. Acreage, 4726; population, 571. The old manor-house was taken in 1643-44 by Lord Byron, and the present mansion, Doddington Hall, occupies the same site, and is a fine mansion situated in a well-wooded park. Some remains are near it of a castle built in 1364. The living is a' vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £202. Th& church was erected in 1837. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Bridgemere, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Cbeckley-cum-Wrinehill township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Doddington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.