Fridaythorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Fridaythorpe, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles SSW of Fimber railway station, and 10 W by N of Great Driffield, with a post office under York; money order office. Bishop Wilton; telegraph office, Pock-lington. Acreage, 1920; population, 280. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is Norman, and has a low tower. The oak roof, which was damaged by a storm in 1886, was repaired by public subscription. There are We&leyan and Primitive Methodist chapels
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Fridaythorpe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fridaythorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fridaythorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fridaythorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: