Foston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Foston, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the Barton Hill station on the York and Scarborough railway, W of the river Derwent, 11½ miles NE by N of York. Acreage, 979; population, 91; of ecclesiastical parish, 365. The parish includes also the township of Thornton-le-Clay and part of the township of Flaxton-on-the-Moor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross yearly value, -£578 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style: the chancel was restored in 1886. The Rev. Sidney Smith was rector here for some years. There are Quaker, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Foston:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Foston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: