Fordon, East Riding of Yorkshire
Fordon, a township and a chapelry in Hunmanby parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles WSW of Hunmanby railway station, and 10 NW of Bridlington. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hunmanby (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1464; population, 38. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Burton Fleming, in the diocese of York; gross yearly value, £20 with re&idence, in the gift of Colonel John Philip Osbaldeston-Mitford, who is lord of the manor. The church is small, and was restored in 1876.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fordon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fordon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fordon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: