Folkton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Folkton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the coast, 3 miles from Cayton station on the N.E.R., and 9 S by E of Scarborough. It includes the hamlets of East and West Flotmanby. The parish contains also the village of Flixton. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Hunmanby. Acreage, 5499; population, 442. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net yearly value, £300 with residence. Patron, Colonel Mitford. The church is ancient, and has Norman doorway and font. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Folkton St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Folkton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Folkton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Folkton (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: