Flixton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Flixton, a village in Folkton parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the Wolds, near the Hull and Scarborough railway, 6¼ miles S of Scarborough. An hospital was founded here in the time of Athelstan by Acchorn or Acehome, and afterwards bore the name of Carmans Spittle, bat was dissolved about 1535. The lord of the manor is the Earl of Londesborough, who is principal landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flixton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Flixton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: