Flaxton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Flaxton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, lying adjacent to the York and Scarborough railway, near the river Foss, 9 miles NNE of York, and with a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Sand Hut-ton. It is sometimes called Flaxton-on-the-Moor. Acreage of township, 1865; population, 325. About 300 silver Saxon coins, together with other relics, were found here in 1807. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross yearly value, £155 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a reading-room. - Fleamburg. See FLAMBOROUGH.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||York|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Flaxton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flaxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Flaxton-on-the-Moor)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Flaxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: