Flamborough, East Riding of Yorkshire
Flamborough, a fishing village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands in a hollow, near the centre of a promontory, 4 miles NE by E of Bridlington, and has a station on a branch iof the N.E.R. It was known to the Saxons as Fleambury, signifying " light town," and it is supposed to have derived its name either from a flame-tower or beacon erected near it at some½arly period, or from the Continental town of Flansburg, belonging to the Jutes. It evidently is a place of much antiquity, it is even supposed to iiave been an important Roman station, and it probably continued to be somewhat notable in the middle ages, but it is now little if anything more than an ordinary fishing village and coastguard station. It has a post, money order and telegraph office under Hull, a church, two dissenting chapels, and some remains of an ancient tower. The church is ancient, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with small western turret, was restored in 1868, and contains a carved screen, an ancient font, and an old brass. The remains of the ancient tower are at the west end of the village, and bear the name of the Danish tower, but no record exists to throw light upon its history. The parish comprises 3076 acres of land, and 255 of water and foreshore; population, 1340. The manor belonged to King Harold, was given after the Conquest to William Ie Gros, and passed to the Constables. Flamborough Head terminates the promontory, at about 2 miles from the village, consists of chalk cliffs, rising to the height of from 300 to 450 feet, is the resort of many myriads of sea-fowl, and has been pierced by the action of waves and weather into numerous caverns, the more remarkable of which are called Kirkhole, the Dovecot, and Robin Lyth's hole. Only two landing places, and these not good, are on the promontory, yet Ida the Saxon landed here with forty ships, to fight for the crown of North-umbria. A lighthouse, built in 1806, stands about 400 yards from the extreme point of the promontory, at an elevation of 214 feet, is a circular brick structure 87 feet.high, which is supplied with a dioptric revolving lens, showing a light every half minute, one red to two white. A fog signal station is near the lighthouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net yearly value, £120 with residence. See DANES DYKE and BRIDLINGTON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Flamborough St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Flamborough:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flamborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Flamborough (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Flamborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: