Delamere, a township and a parish in Cheshire. The township lies 1½ mile from Delamere station on the Cheshire Lines railway, 5½ miles W by S of Hartford, and 10 E by N of Chester, and gives the title of Baron to the family of Chol-mondeley. Acreage, 1469; population, 512. The parish contains also the townships of Eddisbury, Oakmere, and Kingswood, and its post town is Kelsall, under Northwich. Acreage, 8934; population, 1411. The area was extra-parochial till 1812; was anciently a royal forest abounding with wood and deer; had become waste and barren; and is now in great extent enclosed and cultivated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1817, and restored in 1878. There are Presbyterian and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
|Registration district||Chester||1936 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Delamere from 1936 to 1937 you should search for the Chester Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Delamere from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Delamere are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.