Fimber, East Riding of Yorkshire
Fimber, a village and a township in Wetwang parish, E.R. Yorkshire, adjacent to the Driffield and Malton railway, 8— miles WNW of Great Driffield. There is a station, jointly with Sledmere, on the N.E.R., and a post office called Fimber station under York; money order office, Sledmere; telegraph office, Driffield. Acreage, 1927; population, 158. The church, which is very beautiful, was rebuilt in 1871 by Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fimber from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fimber)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fimber are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: