Faxfleet, East Riding of Yorkshire
Faxfleet, a village and a township in E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Humber, opposite the influx of the Trent, 6¼ miles. SSW of South Cave, and 2 from Staddlethorpe station on the Hull and Selby railway. The township includes the hamlet of Oxmardike. Post town, Howden; money order and telegraph office, Newport. Acreage, 1723; population, 206. This township, together with Broomfleet and part of Walling Fen, were formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1862. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||South Cave|
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Faxfleet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Faxfleet)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Faxfleet are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: