Etton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Etton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the Wolds, 1 mile from Cherry Burton station on the N.E.R., and 4½ NW of Beverley, with a post and money order office under Cherry Burton; telegraph office, Cherry Burton. Acreage, 3729; population, 398. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £498 with residence. Patron, Lord Hotham. The church is Norman, has a low tower, and was restored in 1869. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Etton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Etton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Etton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Etton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Etton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: