Elvington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Elvington, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, 4½ miles SSW of Fangfoss station on the N.E.R., and 6¼ ESE of York, with a pos½; and money order office under York; telegraph office, West Cottingwith. Acreage, 2366; population, 357. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £272 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1877, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elvington Holy Trinity|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Elvington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elvington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elvington (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elvington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: