Elloughton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Elloughton, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. It comprises the townships of Elloughton-with-Brough andWauldby, and lies on the Selby and Hull railway, with a station at Brough, and on the Humber, 10 miles NW of Hull. The area of the township of Elloughton-with-Brough is 162& acres; population, 927; of the civil parish, 980. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Brough, The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good, and there are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive-Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elloughton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elloughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elloughton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elloughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: