Crowton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Weaverham parish, Cheshire. The village is on the river Weaver, 1 mile W of Acton Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles W of Weaverham, and 4 of Northwich. It has a post office under Northwich; money order and telegraph office, Norley. The township includes the village of Onston. Acreage, 1738; population, 531. The ecclesiastical parish includes also part of Norley St John, and was constituted in 1872; population, 534. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron the Vicar of Weaverham. The church was built in 1871, There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crowton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Crowton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.