CHELBOROUGH, WEST, a parish, in the union of BEAMINSTER, hundred of TOLLERFORD, Sherborne division of DORSET, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Evershot, containing 58 inhabitants, and consisting of 578a. 3r. 28p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 15. 7½.; and in the gift of the family of Rolle, and John Bragge, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £82, and the glebe comprises 29¼ acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for West Chelborough (St. Andrew) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at West Chelborough, 1673-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of West Chelborough from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site