Stourton Caundle

Select map to view larger area
CAUNDLE-STOURTON, a parish, in the union of STURMINSTER, hundred of BROWNSHALL, Sturminster division of DORSET, 2 miles (S. W.) from Stalbridge; containing 394 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1962 acres: stone of good quality for building is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron and irnpropriator, Sir H. R. Hoare, whose tithes have been commuted for £21.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014

Church History

Description and Travel