CAUNDLE-PURSE (ST. PETER), a parish, in the union and hundred of SHERBORNE, Sherborne division of DORSET, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Milborne-Port, containing 183 inhabitants. It is intersected in the eastern portion by the road from London to Sherborne, and comprises 1470a, 2r. 16p., of which, with the exception of about 100 acres of woodland and copse, the whole is arable, meadow, and pasture. The surface is generally level, but rises towards the south, and terminates in a long ridge; the soil is a strong clay, alternated in some parts with a stone brash. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 8. 8., and in the gift of Sir H. R. Hoare: the tithes have been commuted for £162, and the glebe comprises 23 acres. In the chancel of the church, under a plain marble tombstone, are interred the remains of Dr. Highmore, a distinguished writer on medical and anatomical subjects. Dr. Mew, Bishop of Winchester, was born here in 1618: he was commanded by the king to proceed against Monmouth, in the rebellion, and had the management of the artillery at the battle of Sedgmoor, where he rendered considerable service.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Purse Caundle (St. Peter) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- UK Genealogy Archives have a fully searchable transcript of the Marriages at Purse Caundle 1837-1921 on their site.
- A description of Purse Caundle from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site