HOOKE (ST. GILES), a parish, in the union of BEAMINSTER, hundred of EGGERTON, Bridport division of DORSET, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Beaminster; containing 268 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1237 acres, of which 207 are wood, consisting chiefly of good oak; the land is high and open, and the soil various, in some parts sandy and in others a chalk, abounding in springs. There is a small establishment for spinning flax. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 10., and in the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich: the tithes have been commuted for £41, and the glebe contains 42 acres. The church, which is ancient, has been lately repaired and enlarged.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Hooke (St. Giles) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Hook, 1771-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.