CHELBOROUGH, EAST, or LUCCOMBE:, a parish, in the union of BEAMINSTER, hundred of TOLLERFORD, Sherborne division of DORSET, 16 miles (N. W.) from Dorchester; containing 96 inhabitants. The parish was anciently called Luccombe, and East Chelborough was a hamlet within its limits. It comprises 948a. lr., of which about 258 acres are arable, 594 pasture, 62 wood and plantation, and 23 orchard and garden-ground. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of the Rev. Blakeley Cooper; the tithes have been commuted for £160, and the glebe comprises 110 acres, with a glebe-house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for East Chelborough (dedication unknown) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- A description of East Chelborough from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site