DURWESTON (ST. NICHOLAS), a parish, in the union of BLANDFORD, hundred of PIMPERNE, Blandford division of DORSET, 3 miles (N. W.) from Blandford, containing, with the tything of Knighton, 468 inhabitants. It comprises 1900 acres, and is situated on the river Stour, over which is a bridge, to the east of the village; the surface is hilly, and the soil chalky, Knighton, formerly a distinct parish, has long been consolidated with Durweston. The living is a rectory, with that of Bryanston united, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 3., and in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £263, and the glebe comprises 111 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Durweston (St. Nicholas) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- A description of Durweston from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site