CORSCOMBE (ST. MICHAEL), a parish, in the union and hundred of BEAMINSTER, Bridport division of DORSET, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Beaminster, containing 810 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 5000 acres, the soil is various, in some parts chalky, in some clayey, and in others a rich black mould. The village is situated on the north side of a hill, and commands extensive views over the county of Somerset to the Bristol Channel, and the mountains of Wales. The Court-house, belonging to the lord of the manor, and now occupied as a farmhouse, is nearly encompassed by a moat, over which was a drawbridge. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 3. 4., and in the gift of W. Maskell, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £573, and the glebe comprises 61 acres. The church is a neat edifice, erected about 1675.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Corscombe (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- A description of Corscombe from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site