CORFE-MULLEN, a chapelry, in the parish of STURMINSTER-MARSHALL, union of WIMBORNE and CRANBORNE, hundred of COGDEAN, Wimborne division of DORSET, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Wimborne-Minster; containing 758 inhabitants, and comprising 3086 acres, of which 148 are common or waste. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and has been enlarged by the addition of 140 free sittings. There is an annuity of £27 for the support of a school, to which Richard Lockyer in 1706 bequeathed £17.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Corfe Mullen (St. Hubert) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Corfe Mullen:
Baptisms: 1651-1984 Marriages: 1652-1661, 16701992 Burials: 1652-1661, 1670 1678, 1756-1928, 1939, 1948 (DHC Ref: PE/COM see also Sturminster Marshall)
- A description of Corfe Mullen from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site