Compton Valence

Select map to view larger area
COMPTON-VALLENCE (ST. THOMAS à BECKET), a parish, in the union of DORCHESTER, liberty of FRAMPTON, Dorchester division of DORSET, 7¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Dorchester; containing 116 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1500 acres: the village, which is situated on the banks of a small stream, appears to have been formerly more extensive than it is at present. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 5. 2½., and in the gift of Robert Williams, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £237, and the glebe comprises 100 acres. The church, rebuilt in 1839, at the cost of the patron, is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the windows are embellished with stained glass. The rectory-house has been rebuilt in a corresponding style.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel