COMPTON-ABBAS (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of SHAFTESBURY, hundred of SIXPENNY-HANDLEY, Shaston division of DORSET, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Shaftesbury, containing 439 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the situation of the village in a combe or vale, and its adjunct from its annexation to Shaston Abbey, lies on the road from Shaftesbury to Blandford-Forum, and comprises 1384 acres, whereof 318 are common or waste. There are some quarries of green sandstone used for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 2½., and in the gift of Sir R. P. Glyn, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £350. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a tower, on the summit of which is a pear-tree in full vigour.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Compton Abbas (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Compton Abbas:
Baptisms: 1640-1644, 1651 1870 Marriages: 1640-1641, 1659 1985 Burials: 1640-1644, 1659 1940 (DHC Ref: PE/COA alias Compton Abbas East)
- A description of Compton Abbas from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site