CLIFTON-MAYBANK (ALL SAINTS), a parish, in the union of SHERBORNE, hundred of YETMINSTER, Sherborne division of DORSET, 5½ miles (W. S. W.) from Sherborne; containing 70 inhabitants. It is intersected by the river lvel, and comprises 1244a. 3r. 12p., of which 781 acres are pasture, 215 arable, 202 woodland, and about 11 in orchards: the surface is rather flat, and the lands in winter are subject to occasional inundation; the soil is light, but productive. The living is a rectory, united in 1824 to the vicarage of Bradford-Abbas, and valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 0½. ; the tithes have been commuted for £245, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church has been in ruins for a century.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bradford Abbas with Clifton Maybank:
Baptisms: 1579-1583, 15881982 Marriages: 1580-1583, 15881728, 1754-1989 Burials: 1579-1583, 15881992 (DHC Ref: PE/BRA)
- A description of Clifton Maybank from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site