CHIDEOCK (ST. GILES), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of DORSET, 2¾ miles (W.) from Bridport; containing 826 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the English Channel. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with the livings of Marshwood and Stanton St. Gabriel, to the vicarage of Whitchurch-Canonicorum. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Chideock (St. Giles) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Chideock:
Baptisms: 1654-1898 Marriages: 1654-1995 Burials: 1654-1984 (DHC Ref: PE/CDK)
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Chideock, 1654-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Chideock from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site