CHARMINSTER (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of DORCHESTER, hundred of GEORGE, Dorchester division of DORSET, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Dorchester; containing 827 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the living of Stratton annexed; net income, £137; patrons and impropriators, the Pickard family. The great tithes have been commuted for £510, the perpetual curate's for £12, and the tithes of the landowners for £155. The church has been enlarged by the addition of 174 free sittings.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Charminster (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Charminster, 1561-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Charminster from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site