CHARLTON-MARSHALL, a parish, in the union of BLANDFORD, hundred of COGDEAN, Blandford division of DORSET, 1¾ mile (S. S. E.) from Blandford; containing 395 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Spetisbury: the tithes Were commuted for land in 1799. The church contains some monuments to the family of Bastard, and one to the memory of Dr. Sloper. Some fossils, and Roman and Grecian coins, were found in 1831.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Charlton Marshall (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Charlton Marshall:
Baptisms: 1576-1670, 1706 1941 Marriages: 1576-1687, 1701 1978 Burials: 1576-1648, 1705 1919 (DHC Ref: PE/CHM)
- A description of Charlton Marshall from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site