CHALBURY, a parish, in the union of WIMBORNE and CRANBORNE, hundred of BADBURY, Wimborne division of DORSET, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Wimborne-Minster; containing, with the tything of Didlington, 152 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1355 acres, of which about 584 are arable, 274 down, pasture, and meadow, 176 woodland, and 279 common. The village is situated on rising gronnd, commanding a fine view of the Needles and the British Channel. A particular sort of fine sand, used by founders, is obtained. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Earl of Pembroke: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe contains about 30 acres, with a glebe-house. At Didlington was a chapel, now a farmhouse, near which foundations of houses are often discovered in turning up the ground. There is a chalybeate spring.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Chalbury (dedication unknown) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Chalbury:
Baptisms: 1629-1697, 17161992 Marriages: 1629-1664, 16761691, 1716-1993 Burials: 1629-1698, 17161992 (DHC Ref: PE/CHY)
- A description of Chalbury from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site