CAUNDLE-MARSH (ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL), a parish, in the union and hundred of SHERBORNE, Sherborne division of DORSET, 3¾ miles (S. E.) from Sherborne, containing 77 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Sherborne to Sturminster, comprises 781 acres, of which 40 are common or waste: stone of inferior quality is quarried. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 3., and in the gift of Sir H. R. Hoare, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £96, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church is a neat edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Caundle Marsh (St. Peter and St. Paul) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Caundle Marsh:
Baptisms: ?1704-1745, 1761-1991 Marriages: ?1704-1741, 1764-1812, 1817 1831, 1840-1988 Burials: 1706-1992 (DHC Ref: PE/CDM)
- A description of Caundle Marsh from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site