CATTISTOCKE (ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL), a parish, in the union of CERNE, hundred of CERNE, TOTCOMBE, and MODBURY, Cerne division of DORSET, 9 miles (N. W.) from Dorchester, containing 549 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Dorchester to Yeovil, and comprises 2938a. 1r. 6p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 9., and in the patronage of Mrs. Still: the tithes have been commuted for £510, and there is a glebe-house, with about 28 acres of land. On a hill in the eastern part of the parish is an ancient circular fortification of about four acres, called the Castle, surrounded by a double rampart, with entrances at the north-east and west: towards the middle of the area the ground rises into a long barrow; and near the north entrance is a round tumulus, the top of which consists of flint stones.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Cattistock (St. Peter and St. Paul) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Cattistock:
Baptisms: 1558-1674, 16831869 Marriages: 1558-1644, 1652, 1658-1837 Burials: 1558-1674, 16831703, 1799-1907 (DHC Ref: PE/CAT)
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Cattistock, 1558-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Cattistock from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site