CATHERSTON-LEWSTON (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of DORSET, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Lyme-Regis; containing 36 inhabitants. This place was the residence of a branch of the Wadhams, by one of whom, Nicholas Wadham, and Dorothy his wife, Wadham College, Oxford, was founded. The parish is situated on the great road from London to Plymouth, adjoining the post-town of Charmouth, and comprises by measurement 248 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 16. 10½.; net income, £67; patrons, the Executors of Jones Ross, Esq. The church, rebuilt lately by subscription of the rector and his friends, is a neat small edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Catherston Leweston (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Catherston Leweston:
Baptisms: 1837-1943 Marriages: 1839-1979 Burials: None (DHC Ref: PE/CAL see also Charmouth)