Canford Magna

Select map to view larger area
CANFORD, GREAT, a parish, in the union of POOLE, hundred of COGDEAN, Wimborne division of DORSET, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Wimborne-Minter; comprising the chapelries of Kingston and Parktone, and the tything of Longfleet; and containing 3957 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the south bank of the river Stour, and on the road from Poole to Southampton; and comprises by measurement 12,395 cres. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 9. 9½.; patron, Sir Josiah John Guest. The parish, with respect to tithes, is separated into the eastern, middle, and western divisions: the tithes of the eastern division have been commuted for £380, and are payable every third year to the vicar, and in the two other years to the impropriator; the tithes of the western division have been commuted for £286 payable every third year to the vicar, and £133 two years in three to the impropriators; and those of the middle ivision for £295 payable every third year to the vicar, and £35 payable two years in three to impropriators. The glebe comprises 86 acres. The church consists of a nave and chancel, with a north aisle to each, and a tower between the two aisles; also a south aisle to the nave, and a south chapel to the chancel: the font, of Purbeck marble, is of great antiquity. There are other churches at Kingston, Parkstone, and Longfleet, forming separate incumbencies. The Independents have a place of worship. A small portion of the ancient manor-house, called John of Gaunt's Kitchen, is still remaining.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Genealogy