BURTON-BRADSTOCK (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, liberty of FRAMPTON, though locally in the hundred of GODDERTHORNE, Bridport division of DORSET, 2¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bridport; containing 1201 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and on the west by Bridport harbour, comprises by measurement 2700 acres: the scenery is bold, and in some parts strikingly romantic; the cliffs on the beach rise perpendicularly to a great height, and abound with fossil remains. In the village is an establishment for spinning flax, and the linen and woollen manufactures afford employment to about 200 persons: stone of good quality for building is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Shipton-George, valued in the king's books at £25, and in the gift of Lord Rivers: the tithes have been commuted for £416. 10. payable to the incumbent, and for £18. 3. belonging to impropriators; the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, in the Norman style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Burton Bradstock (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Burton Bradstock:
Baptisms: 1614-1640, 16581907 Marriages: 1614-1639, 16601966, 1976-1990 Burials: 1614-1640, 16601682, 1740-1982 (DHC Ref: PE/BBK)
- A description of Burton Bradstock from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site