BURSTOCK (ST. ANDREW), a parish, in the union of BEAMINSTER, hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of DORSET, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Beaminster; containing 307 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 4½., and in the patronage of John Bragge, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £170 per annum, and the glebe consists of about an acre and a half.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Burstock (St. Andrew) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Burstock:
Baptisms: 1587-1653, 1688 1981 Marriages: 1560-1636, 1695 1979 Burials: 1603-1643, 1695 1981 (DHC Ref: PE/BSK)
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Burstock, 1563-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Burstock from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site