BUCKLAND-NEWTON (HOLY ROOD), a parish, in the union of CERNE, hundred of BUCKLAND-NEWTON, Cerne division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Cerne; comprising the tythings of Brockhampton, Burkland, Duntish, Knowle, Mintern Parva, and Plush; and containing 914 inhabitants, of whom 310 are in the tything of Buckland. The parish is on the great road from Weymouth to Bath, and comprises by measurement 6018 acres, of which about 1241 are arable, 4085 meadow and pasture, 237 woodland, and 308 common. The substratum is chalk, in which are imbedded some few flints; and a little sandstone is found on the western confines. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 19. 9½.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells; impropriators, the representatives of Leonard Pount, Esq., who have commuted their tithes for £745 : the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £550; 104 acres of glebe belong to the impropriators, and 194 to the vicar. The church is in the early and later English styles; the chancel has lancet windows: a gallery, containing 120 sittings, was built in 1821. At Plush is a chapel of ease, more ancient than the church. The Independents have a place of worship. There are some remains of a Roman camp.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Buckland Newton (Holy Rood) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Buckland Newton:
Baptisms: 1569-1628, 1654 1981 Marriages: 1569-1625, 1654 1995 Burials: 1569-1625, 1654 1974 (DHC Ref: PE/BCN)
- A description of Buckland Newton from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site