Bryanston

Select map to view larger area
BRYANSTON (ST. MARTIN), a parish, in the union of BLANDFORD, hundred of PIMPERNE, Blandford division of DORSET, l½ mile (N. W. by W.) from Blandford-Forum; containing 144 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Stour, which forms its northern boundary, and comprises 1691 acres, The soil is generally chalky, but fertile; the surface is varied, and the lower grounds are subject to occasional inundation from the river, on whose banks are some tracts of fine meadow-land. The living is a rectory, united to that of Durweston, and valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 5½.: the tithes have been commuted for £177.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel