BRYANSTON (ST. MARTIN), a parish, in the union of BLANDFORD, hundred of PIMPERNE, Blandford division of DORSET, l½ mile (N. W. by W.) from Blandford-Forum; containing 144 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Stour, which forms its northern boundary, and comprises 1691 acres, The soil is generally chalky, but fertile; the surface is varied, and the lower grounds are subject to occasional inundation from the river, on whose banks are some tracts of fine meadow-land. The living is a rectory, united to that of Durweston, and valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 5½.: the tithes have been commuted for £177.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bryanston (St. Martin) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bryanston:
Baptisms: 1598-1643, 16491699, 1763-1973 Marriages: 1599-1637, 17561975 Burials: 1599-1643, 1661 1697, 1764-1791, 1813-1888, 1967 (DHC Ref: PE/BRY)
- A description of Bryanstone from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site