BROADWINSOR (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST), a parish and liberty, in the union of BEAMINSTER, Bridport division of DORSET, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Beaminster; containing, with Little Winsor, which is in Redhone hundred, 1661 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 6215 acres, of which 1222 are arable, 4579 meadow and pasture, and 292 wood and orchards. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 8. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury: the tithes have been commuted for £1282. 10., of which £750 are paid to the vicar, who has a glebehouse, and 9 acres of land; the impropriators have a glebe of 85 acres. A chapel of ease was erected at Blackdown in 1840, in the early English style, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it is a neat and substantial building, and will accommodate 300 persons.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Broadwindsor (St. John the Baptist) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Broadwindsor:
Baptisms: ?1562-1573, 1582-1586, 1592 1999 Marriages: 1563-1753, 17611984 Burials: 1562-1611, 16251639, 1648-1999 (DHC Ref: PE/BDW)
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Broadwinsor, 1563-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Broadwindsor from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site