BROADWAY (ST. NICHOLAS), a parish, in the union of WEYMOUTH, hundred of CULLIFORD-TREE, Dorchester division of DORSET, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Dorchester; containing 498 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the Weymouth and Dorchester road, and intersected by the river Wey, comprises by admeasurement 11,000 acres, about one-third being arable. There are some fine quarries from which stone is obtained for lime and for building. At the hamlet of Nottingham is a mineral spring, used for medicinal purposes. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Bincombe, and valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 2½.: the glebe contains about 100 acres. The southern entrance of the church is distinguished by a beautiful Norman arch of very early date. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Broadwey (St. Nicholas) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Broadwey:
Baptisms: 1661-1977 Marriages: 1673-1966 Burials: 1674-1956 (DHC Ref: PE/BDY see also Bincombe)
- A description of Broadway from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site