BRADPOLE (HOLY TRINITY), a parish, in the union of BRIDPORT, hundred of BEAMINSTER-FORUM and REDHONE, Bridport division of DORSET, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Bridport; containing 1357 inhabitants. It comprises 998a. 2r. 16p., of which 566 acres are arable, 182 meadow, 100 pasture, and 18 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 1½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £199. A new church was consecrated in August 1846, containing 400 sittings, mostly free. The inhabitants formerly interred their dead at Bridport; but by a composition made in 1527, they were allowed to inter in their own churchyard, on paying annually a small acknowledgment to the rector of Bridport.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bradpole (Holy Trinity) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bradpole:
Baptisms: 1695-1996 Marriages: 1695-2001 Burials: 1695-1993 (DHC Ref: PE/BRE)
- UK Genealogy Archives have a full transcript of the Marriages at Bradpole, 1695-1812 taken from the Phillimore Marriages series.
- A description of Bradpole from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site