BRADFORD-PEVERELL (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union of DORCHESTER, hundred of GEORGE, Dorchester division of DORSET, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dorchester, containing, with the hamlet of Muckleford, 355 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 2180 acres, is situated on the river Frome, and bounded on the north by the main road from Dorehester to Yeovil, and on the south by the road to Bridport. There is an old Roman way in a straight line from the village to Dorchester; and in the vicinity are several tumuli, some of which, on being opened, were found to contain urns, burnt bones, coins, and various other relics of the Romans. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 2. 11.; net income, £229; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College: corn-rents were assigned in lieu of tithes in 1798, and there are about 50 acres of glebe, with an excellent house. The church is a plain edifice: a good arch divides off the chancel; and on stained glass in one of the windows is the coat of arms of William of Wykeham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848. Transcribed by Nigel Batty-Smith ©2014
- Michael Day provides photographs and bibliography for Bradford Peverell (St. Mary) on his Dorset Churches website
- You can search for churches in the local area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database.
- The Dorset History Centre hold the Parish Registers for Bradford Peverell:
Baptisms: 1653-1883 Marriages: 1653-1712, 17211726, 1732-1810, 1815-1982 Burials: 1654-1680, 16961992 (DHC Ref: PE/BRP)
- A description of Bradford Peverell from the Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5 is available on the UK Genealogy Archives site